1.1 The University of Warwick (‘we’, ‘us’) welcomes you to piirus.ac.uk (our “Website”), on which we offer a research match service where researchers can set up a piirus.ac.uk account, search for and make contact with other piirus.ac.uk account holders with similar research interests and form fruitful research collaborations (the “piirus.ac.uk Service”). Anyone who is granted a piirus.ac.uk account is a user of the piirus.ac.uk Service (“piirus.ac.uk Member”).
1.3 In providing the piirus.ac.uk Service and the PiirusMatch Service we are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
1.5 For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the “Act”), the data controller is The Administrative Officer (Compliance), Deputy Registrar’s Office, University House, The University of Warwick, Kirby Corner Road, Coventry CV4 8UW.
1.8 We have certain rules when you use our Website as a piirus.ac.uk account holder. These rules are contained in our piirus.ac.uk Terms and Conditions of Use.
2. Information we may collect from you
2.1 We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information provided by filling in forms on our Website. This includes information provided at the time of registering an interest in our Website, the piirus.ac.uk Service, or the PiirusMatch Service, applying for or subscribing to the piirus.ac.uk Service, opting-in to the PiirusMatch Service, or any other service offered from time to time by our Website, requesting further services, and reporting a problem with our Website. If you are a piirus.ac.uk Member, this includes information provided at the time of registering as a piirus.ac.uk Member and any information submitted by you or on your behalf to support any application (where necessary), and information used to build your piirus.ac.uk account.
- If you are a piirus.ac.uk Member, information or materials that you upload or submit onto our Website to your piirus.ac.uk account.
- Information you provide if you:
- enter a competition or promotion run through our Website;
- interact with any advertising on our Website;
- install or use any piirus.ac.uk applications; or
- complete surveys on our Website that we use for research purposes.
- If you contact us, a record of that correspondence.
- Details of any transactions you carry out through our Website.
- Details of your visits to our Website including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, whether this is required for our own billing purposes or otherwise and the resources that you access.
- Information received from third parties that we work closely with, including advertising networks, analytics providers and search information providers.
2.2 If you register as a piirus.ac.uk Member, we will collect information that is mandatory for your profile creation including your name, e-mail address and password. You may then choose whether to provide additional personal information to build up your piirus.ac.uk account. Building up your piirus.ac.uk account and profile allows you to build up your professional identity, allows more users to find you on our Website and will potentially open up more research opportunities for you.
2.3 If you are an Opted-In Member then we may request additional information from you such as further information about your academic and career history and details of your referees to enable us to shortlist candidates for our PiirusMatch Clients, but the provision of such information will be at your discretion.
2.4 We will update your information whenever we get the opportunity, to make sure that it is current, accurate and complete. Please let us know if there is any change to your information.
3. Sharing and disclosure of information
3.1 We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- If our Website or any service on it, including the piirus.ac.uk Service or PiirusMatch Service is acquired by a third party, in which case your personal information will be one of the transferred assets.
- Where they are assisting us in developing the Website or any services on it, including the piirus.ac.uk Service and the PiirusMatch Service.
3.2 We may also wish to share or disclose your personal information or make it viewable to other users of the website or third parties in certain other circumstances, for example using information to showcase piirus.ac.uk to potential new members or to allow publication of articles or papers in research publications. We will always ask you in advance whether you are happy for us to use, share or disclose this information and make clear when we are doing so, and (where applicable) ask whether you wish to be identified as the author of such material.
3.3 If you register as a piirus.ac.uk Member we will ask you whether you wish to opt-in to the PiirusMatch Service described in clause 1.2 above and become and Opted-In Member. For each brief we receive from a PiirusMatch Client, we will search the pool of Opted-In Members to identify a shortlist of potential candidates. We will then contact the shortlisted Opted-In Members to assess their suitability and availability for the proposed engagement. With the express permission of each shortlisted Opted-In Member, their appropriate personal details, CV and details of referees will be passed to the PiirusMatch Client to enable the PiirusMatch Client to make the final decision about whom to appoint and upon what terms. At that point, our involvement ceases and any further contractual arrangements will be made direct between the PiirusMatch Client and the shortlisted Opted-In Member.
3.4 If you register as a piirus.ac.uk Member, any information that you upload to your piirus.ac.uk account and profile, including your username and profile picture, can (unless you opt to hide your profile from view) be viewed by all other piirus.ac.uk Members so that they can see and search for you. We will not disclose such material, except profile pictures in accordance with clause 3.5, to any other users of the Website, unless you have given your permission for them to view it pursuant to clauses 3.2 and 3.3.
3.5 If you register as a piirus.ac.uk Member the profile picture you upload to your piirus.ac.uk profile may be viewed by all users of our Website on the home page.
4. Where we store your data
4.2 All information you provide to us is stored on secure servers and will be encrypted where necessary. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our Website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
4.3 Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our Website; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
5. Uses made of your information
5.1 We use information held about you in the following ways:
- To ensure that content from our Website is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer and to keep our Website safe and secure.
- To provide you, or permit third parties to provide you, with information, advertisements, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us.
- To identify you as the author of material that you post onto our Website.
- To make suggestions to you about our Website services and features.
- To communicate with you about any service offered on our Website from time to time, including the piirus.ac.uk Service and the PiirusMatch Service. Any notification will be clearly communicated on our Website, or sent to you by e-mail or internal message.
- To communicate with you about our website terms and conditions, policies and guidelines and any changes or updates to them. Any notification will be clearly communicated on our Website, or sent to you by e-mail or internal message.
- To allow you to participate in any features of our Website, including as part of the piirus.ac.uk Service or the PiirusMatch Service, when you choose to do so.
5.2 If you are a piirus.ac.uk Member, we also use information held about piirus.ac.uk Members in the following ways:
- To amend any piirus.ac.uk Members profile.
- To allow other piirus.ac.uk Members to find and view your profile and send you internal messages.
- To make suggestions to you about piirus.ac.uk Service or PiirusMatch Service features, materials and other piirus.ac.uk Members you may wish to connect to.
- To notify the educational establishment of which you are a member if there has been a serious breach of any website terms and conditions, policies or guidelines by or concerning you.
- To assess, analyse and compile it, alongside the information of other PIIRUS Members, to produce anonymised lists, data and reports on research trends, activity, interests and forecasts.
5.3 If you are an Opted-In Member, we also use information held about Opted-In Members in the following ways:
- To identify candidates to shortlist for briefs received from PiirusMatch Clients
- To contact shortlisted Opted-In Members to obtain further information relevant to the briefs received from PiirusMatch Clients to enable us to provide the PiirusMatch Service
- With the express permission of the Opted-In Member to pass certain details (usually personal contact details, CV and details of referees) to PiirusMatch Clients to enable PiirusMatch Clients to assess whom to engage to fulfil their brief.
5.4 In certain circumstances we may also provide aggregate information about users of our Website (for example, number of piirus.ac.uk Members signed up to the piirus.ac.uk service in Ireland) to any advertisers who we are working with and use such information to help our advertisers reach the kind of audience they want to target, or to piirus.ac.uk Members or other third parties who wish to publish articles or papers in research publications to assist them with their academic studies. We do not disclose information about identifiable individuals to piirus.ac.uk Members or other third parties under any circumstances, except pursuant to clause 3.2 (where we will ask you for permission first).
5.5 We also reserve the right to monitor all information that we hold about you including material that you post on our Website to ensure that you are complying with any of our website terms and conditions, policies or guidelines.
6. Retention of information
We will hold your personal information as long as is reasonably required to provide you with any services or features of our Website, including the piirus.ac.uk Service if you are a piirus.ac.uk Member, or to comply with any legal obligation; or in order to enforce or apply the terms of our website terms and conditions, policies or guidelines; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of piirus.ac.uk Members, Opted-In Members, The University of Warwick, PiirusMatch Clients, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
7. Your rights
7.1 You have the right to ask us not to process your personal information for marketing purposes at any time, even if you have previously given consent. We will always inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data, or contacting us at any time at firstname.lastname@example.org.
7.2 Our Website may, from time to time, contain links to and from the Websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites
7.3 If you create links to and from our Websites, for example to a Twitter account these other websites may be able to access your personal information and we have no control over this. Please make sure you are familiar with their privacy policies before linking to any other websites.
8. IP addresses
We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration and to report aggregate information to third parties. This is statistical data about our users’ browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
9.1 When you visit our Website we may send “cookies” to the browser on your computer, even if you do not provide us with any personal data. Cookies are text files containing small amounts of information which are downloaded to your device when you visit a Website. Cookies are sent back to the originating website on each subsequent visit, or to another website that recognises that cookie. Cookies are useful as they enable us to recognise you (by a unique number allocated to you) when you return to our Website and so to personalise your return by, for example, customising web pages based on which areas of our Website were previously of interest to you. If you have previously provided us with personal data, then cookies may enable us automatically to fill in your name and other information when, for example, you complete an online form.
9.2 Cookies also enable us to compile anonymous, aggregated statistics which help us understand how our Website is used and how we may improve it. It is not possible for cookies to read personal information on your computer and/or to find out any personal information about you.
9.3 A list of the different cookies that are used on this Website are set out below, we have categorised these to help you understand the type of function the cookies are performing.
Strictly Necessary Cookies: These cookies are essential in order to enable you to move around our Website and use its features, such as accessing secure areas of our Website. Without these cookies some of the services you have asked for could not be provided.
Performance Cookies: These cookies collect information about how visitors use a Website, for instance which pages visitors go to most often, and if they get error messages from web pages. These cookies do not collect information that identifies a visitor and all information collected is aggregated and therefore anonymous. These cookies improve how a website works.
Functionality Cookies: These cookies allow our Website to remember choices you make (e.g. language setting, text size) and provide enhanced, more personal features. They can help provide services such as local weather reports by storing in a cookie the region in which you are currently located. These cookies may also be used to provide services you have asked for such as watching a video or commenting on a blog. The information collected may be anonymous and they cannot track your browsing activity on other websites.
Authentication Cookies: These cookies allow our Website to link to third party applications and vice versa to allow authentication of users of our Website and to allow users to remain logged into our Website where necessary.
11. Access to information
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
We may revise these terms at any time by amending this page and, where appropriate, notify you of these changes by e-mail. You should check this page from time to time to take notice of any changes we have made, as they are binding on you.
13. Closure and temporary deactivation of your account
piirus.ac.uk is a service provided by the University of Warwick.
The University of Warwick is a Company Incorporated by Royal Charter.
Our main trading address is the University of Warwick, Coventry CV4 8UW, United Kingdom.
Our VAT number is 545270058.
15. Other matters
15.1 If any part of these terms is unenforceable, this will not affect the enforceability of any other part.
15.2 These terms, together with any document referred to in these terms, constitute the whole agreement between you and us.
Last updated: 30th August 2016